Please feel free to browse below for some Frequently Asked Questions.  If you do not see your question here or need further details, please feel free to contact us!  We would love to help!

General Questions
How do I apply for on-campus housing?
Do I have to live on campus?
When can I move in?
When will I get my room/building assignment?
How will I be billed for my room?
Is there a way out of my Residence Hall Contract?
Can I request a double-as-single room?
Can I make changes to my application after I have submitted it?
What should I bring and what should I leave at home?

Roommate & Clustermates
Which halls are co-ed?
Can I request a specific roommate?
Can I request specific clustermates?
How are roommates/clustermates assigned?
If I am not satisfied with my room, can I switch?

Approved Devices for Residence Halls
If I do not have a computer, is one available for me to use?
What kind of telephone services is provided?
Where can I wash my clothes?

Department Standards
What is the alcohol and drug policy?
What is the overnight guest policy?
Where is smoking allowed?

Am I required to have a meal plan?
Are the halls open during academic breaks?
Does the Department of University Residences offer property insurance?


General Questions

Q: How do I apply for on-campus housing?
A: The residential application can be found HERE.

Q: Do I have to live on campus?
A: UNA will begin a freshman residency requirement in Fall 2015. You may find additional information regarding requirements and exemptions HERE. Our residence halls offer excellent programming to look at topics freshmen can relate to and maybe answer a question for them that they might have been afraid to ask. Living on campus is a great way to develop new friendships, to become acclimated to campus, to become involved on campus, and to tap into great resources.

Q: When can I move in?
A: Residence halls open for occupancy at 10:00 a.m. on the Friday prior to the first day of registration for the term for Freshmen and Saturday at 1:00 p.m. for upperclassmen. STAFF ARE NOT ON DUTY AFTER 6:00 P.M. IN THE EVENINGS FOR CHECK-IN. 

Q: When will I get my room/building assignment?
A: You will receive an information packet prior to Move-In Day. The packet will include useful information about campus and your building assignment. You will receive your room and roommate assignments approximately two weeks prior to opening via your official UNA email account. 

Q: How will I be billed for my room?
A: The University now uses e-billing which you access through your UNA Portal Self-Service account. residence hall rent is applied to your tuition bill and is due when your tuition is due at the beginning of the semester. Any nonspecific financial aid (grants, loans, and general scholarships) can be used to cover residence hall rent and will be applied to your balance.
    Your residence hall application fee is not applied to the cost of the room. The residence hall application fee is payable when you make your initial application for an on-campus residence hall assignment. Your residence hall application fee is a one-time, out-of-pocket fee and continues for subsequent semesters as long as you remain in the campus residence halls.

Q: Is there a way out of my Residence Hall Contract?
A: This is a legally binding contract which is effective the day you sign it. As long as you are a student at the University you will be billed for a bed space for the length of time that you requested.

DO NOT ENTER ANY OTHER CONTRACT OR LEASE AFTER SIGNING THE RESIDENCE HALL CONTRACT. Only students, current and incoming, with written documentation of significant and unforeseen change in circumstances since entering into the terms and conditions of the contract that prohibits the applicant from fulfilling his/her contractual obligations that cannot be addressed through a transfer to another accommodation within the residence hall system may file a request for a release from the contract.

Q: Can I request a double-as-single room?
A: Double-as-single rooms are very limited and have a higher cost. The double-as-single occupancy room is a room with two beds but only one person is assigned and billed for the entire room. Availability is based on the student's medical needs and/or space availability. Applicants for double-as-single occupancy rooms must submit medical documentation supporting the need for special accommodations. Please make sure you read the information carefully and adhere to the timeline requirements.
Single rooms in cluster, Mattielou, and Olive residence halls and inside single rooms in Rice/Rivers (designed to have only one bed) are assigned on a first-come first-served basis.

Q: Can I make changes to my application after I have submitted it?
A: Any changes that need to be made to your application should be submitted in writing. Change requests must be received at least 4 weeks prior to check-in. There is no guarantee that requests for changes will be granted. (An e-mail from your UNA Portal e-mail can serve as submitting your request in writing.)

Q: What should I bring and what should I leave at home?
A: Click here for a full list of items

Back to Top



Roommate & Clustermates

Q: Which halls are co-ed?
A: Lafayette, Rice and Rivers are co-educational separated by floor; Covington, Hawthorne, Mattielou and Olive by wing. Co-ed buildings are subject to change based upon demand.

Q: Can I request a specific roommate/clustermate?
A: In most situations the answer is yes, students who wish to request one another as roommates should complete the roommate matching process within the Residence website.  Students submitting the same type of application (ie: Freshman Application, General Application) will be able to match with other students completing the same application.  Students moving to UNA for the first time that would like to live with a current student will be able to request the room of the person that they would like to live with but the Department of University Residences cannot guarantee that the two students would be placed together. 

Q: How are roommates/clustermates assigned?

A: Assignments are based on spaces that have not been reclaimed by current residents. The primary consideration is the date the completed application, Residence Hall Contract, and Residence Hall Application fee are received. 

Q: If I am not satisfied with my room, can I switch?
A: Once a room or building assignment has been made, any request for change must be be approved by a professional staff member in the Department of University Residences. All room and building changes must be coordinated and approved by the Department of University Residences.

If you experience difficulties with roommates, clustermates, and/or facilities, you should always pursue a resolution with the Community Advisor on your floor first. Roommate reconciliation is a great resource by the professional University Residences staff. Always seek their assistance before making a request to the University Residences office to change rooms. If a professional staff member approves the room change, then a move day will be designated and room charges adjusted.  Any resident making an unauthorized move will be charged for an improper room change and then must return to the original assignment.

After the first two weeks of the semester the Department of University Residences also hosts a consolidation process.  During this process students will have the opportunity (space permitting) to move to a new room, change roommates or change buildings altogether.  Since these potential moves are based on spaces being available, not all requests to move will be granted.  Student classifications and gender restrictions on buildings are still upheld during the period.

Back to Top




Computers, Telephones, and Laundry


Q: Does my room have Internet access?
A: All rooms in each residence halls are now equipped with high-speed Internet service via wireless Internet. There is no charge for this UNA Internet service.

Click here to view the University of North Alabama Information Technologies Acceptable Use Statement.

Back to Top




Approved Devices for Residence Halls

Q: What kind of telephone services is provided?
A: You should bring a personal cell phone and charger. Telephone service is not available in resident rooms.

Q: Where can I wash my clothes?
A: Coin-operated washers and dryers are located in each residence hall and are available for use by all residents. Soft drink and snack machines are also available. The Mane Card may be used for laundry and vending services.

Back to Top




Department Standards


Q: What is the alcohol and drug policy?
A: No illegal substances or paraphernalia are permitted on campus. Drugs and drug paraphernalia will be confiscated by residence hall staff and/or officers of the UNA Police.

No kegs are allowed in any area at any time. According to university policy, university students are expected to be aware of and to abide by local and state laws and university regulations.

The resident's rights of privacy and study will be maintained. Loud and/or disruptive behavior, interference with the cleanliness of residence halls, or drinking habits injurious to the health or education of an individual or those around him/her are reasons for appropriate disciplinary action.

In the State of Alabama, individuals must be 21 years old to purchase, possess or consume alcohol. It is unlawful for minors to "purchase, consume, possess or to transport any alcohol, liquor, malt or brewed beverages within the state..." In addition, anyone who furnishes alcoholic beverages to a minor is subject to a civil suit by the minor's parents or guardian. There is no limit to the damages that may be awarded in such a suit. At the University of North Alabama, any minor found with alcohol, or anyone hosting a minor with alcohol, will be subject to university conduct procedures.

Q: What is the overnight guest policy?

A: A guest is someone who visits a residence hall at the invitation of the resident registering him/her as a guest.  All family members apply to these standards as well.  Guests are permitted in a residence hall room only by consent of all occupants of the room.  Guests may be accommodated in university housing for not more than three nights in any 30-day period.  

Q: Where is smoking allowed?
A: There are designated smoking areas outside of each residence hall. Smoking is not permitted inside any building on campus.  

Back to Top





Q: Am I required to have a meal plan?
A: If this your first time living in a UNA residence hall, then you must purchase a meal plan. When you sign the Residence Hall Contract, you are agreeing to a mandatory meal plan if you live in Rice, Rivers, Lafayette, Hawthorne, or Covington, Olive and Mattielou Hall.

The requirement is for two regular semesters (Fall and Spring). If you do not select a plan, then the Business Office will select and charge you for the meal plan.

You may order a meal plan on-line through your UNA Portal account. Or, if on campus, visit the cashier's window in Bibb Graves Hall. Meal plan prices are subject to change. You can visit for more info.

Q: Are the halls open during academic breaks?
A: All residence halls are open through the entire Academic Year and close at the end of the Spring Term.

Q: Does the Department of Residence Life offer property insurance?
A:No, but if students are interested in purchasing property insurance, they may visit National Student Services, Inc.

Back to Top

Event Calendar

« April June »
May 2016

Important Links