Registering a Student Organization
Students interested in forming a new organization at UNA should first contact the Office of Student Engagement in GUC 107 or call 256-765-4248. The RSO Handbook may be obtained on this website under Files. The students should facilitate a meeting to determine whether or not there is sufficient interest to form a new organization. Once that has been determined, plans should be made to hold an organizational meeting at which officers should be elected and future activities planned.
The organization must support and enhance the mission and purpose of the institution by one or more of the following ways:
a. Develop the personal empowerment of those participating.
b. Develop academic/career competency of those involved.
c. Develop social/civic responsibility of those involved.
d. Continue to improve the effectiveness of the University community.
To register a new organization, follow these steps:
- Schedule a meeting with a Student Leadership Consultant for assistance in starting an organization.
- Develop a roster of at least ten (10) full time enrolled students to join the RSO. The students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Obtain agreement of a full time faculty or staff member to serve as the organization’s advisor.
- Create and upload a copy of the constitution under which the organization will operate. This constitution should be approved by a majority of the chartering students.
- Submit a RSO portal request through OrgSync by October 1 or February 1 of each academic semester. The constitution, roster, and advisor information should be accurate and uploaded to the portal in order to receive approval.
The information will be sent to the Office of Student Engagement for review. Once the Office of Student Engagement has approved the new organization, the RSO will be entitled to all the rights and privileges found in the RSO Handbook under Files.